If I've never expressed it before... I'm so lucky to be Stewart's mom. Stewie woke up at 5:30 AM this morning to nurse and snuggle in our bed. He woke up at 7:30 AM and I struggled... I didn't want to wake up on my last day of vacation! And then I had to say "Happy Birthday my baby!" A year ago today at that time I was probably still getting stitched up and your father had finished freaking out because you were purple and looked like you were dead. But you were perfectly okay, healthy and a whopping 8lbs 11oz. After 5 days of mild contractions, a false trip to the hospital and approximately 15 or so hours of real labor, you were finally born. I really don't remember much of it (thank God, otherwise you may never have a sibling!). I remember being in the tub and being uncomfortable and feeling like I had to poop. I know it was way more painful than that, but my brain has seriously blocked it. My poor mother thought I was dying for how much I was screaming, but I don't remember. I remember "the ring of fire..." (there's a song that has a whole other twist to me now!) I remember seeing green and blue swirls and having an oxygen mask put on my face. I remember your purple little body being placed on my chest and you squirming to my breast and I remember... falling in love.
Stewart, you were just this perfect little thing. And you still are. Now you're testing your boundaries... walking around, checking out everything you see... pointing to what you want, or want to know about... babbling and testing out sounds... beginning to use sign language to express that you want more/food. You can follow a short direction like "close the door" or "turn the page." You can match a circle block to a circle hole and sit in your own rocking chair and rock. You can hug your baby doll and give him a kiss. You're loving and selfish, demanding and patient, an observer and a participant... who will you be? As your Grandma says, no one is ever fully "turned out." It's so amazing to watch you grow and I can't wait to watch you grow for the rest of my life... To teach you right from wrong and even step back to let you make your own decisions... But I can wait because I want to savor every moment of innocence! Ha. You can clink glasses and "Cheers!" Here's to you baby. Thanks for picking me to be your mom...
And for those of you who want the party report... The kids had fun playing with balloons and noise makers. When it came time for cupcakes, Stewie was too preoccupied with the silly hat I made him wear. He stuck one finger in the middle of the cupcake and proceeded to smear the rest around his head (note his right ear) while being annoyed with the hat, and never really ate the cupcake. I didn't mind, as I was fearful of his first sugar high. Max helped him open his presents and well, you'll see in the video. When it was time for Max to go home, Stewie gave him a big hug! It was too cute. But of course I didn't get it on film. And last but not least, Stewie enjoyed drawing with his new markers.
Once again, happy first birthday my sweetest of peas.
No comments:
Post a Comment