Sunday, January 25, 2009

Diaper Rash



Besides being the title of my husband's new album (release date TBA), our son is now experiencing this horrible ailment (and yes, he is also subjected to being the trial audience for said album). We've been using Boudreaux's Butt Paste, which in the past worked fabulously. When he has previously had diaper rash it only reached an initial stage of a slightly red hiney. A little Butt Paste before bed and, presto; it was gone by the next day. I don't know what happenned this time. Did we not catch it in time? How did this horrible ailment sneak up on us? He woke up one morning with a bright red, blistery, bumpy tushy. I searched the internet and was reminded of what many experts have said, beware of finding medical treatment on the web. First I freaked out after reading the word "pustules" in its medical description, realizing this was nearly what was happenning to him. "Use Bag Balm." "Use cloth diapers." "Cloth diapers make diaper rash worse." "Use cornstarch!" "Don't use cornstarch! If there is also a yeast infection present, corn starch will feed the yeast making the rash worse." FEED the yeast? So our solution was to just let his skin dry out naturally. After two days of intermittent drying-out-nudist-periods, his rash is starting to clear up. And boy was this entertaining! It turns out the child doesn't know, or understand, that he pees. Obviously letting the child run around naked, we had to deal with a little pee on the floor. We could handle that. He couldn't. He started screaming and crying on the realization that something was coming OUT of his body. How could we not laugh? I was nice enough not to take pictures of that. However; I HAD to take pictures of this very "sturdy" little boy running around in the half nude.

1 comment:

vantiganloos said...

nuthin cuter than a baby butt.
oh poor honeys and yeah - that thing about him being shocked by the pee is funny and good. self realization happening before your eyes... walk him over to the toilet and show him how it's done DADDY!!! I hear it's never too early to start potty training!!! thanks for the peak and I hope it goes away SOON!!!