Wednesday, January 21, 2009

HOPE



I had to include a picture of Stewie in front of Obama since he won't be able to remember that he was "there"... unfortunately I couldn't get him during the inauguration, just during a replay of Sunday's concert. I was sad not to get to be with my boys during the inauguration, but it was so moving to be with my students watching such an important moment. To see a roomful of fifteen and sixteen year-olds on the edge of their seats, fully engaged in a political and historical moment reminded me of why I teach, why I voted for Obama and that it is cool again to be a patriot! When was the last time a democrat said that... JFK? Now if only those fifteen and sixteen year-olds can be spurred to service and action. I could write on and on about how moving his speech was, but, I won't. Let me just leave it at this...

"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations." Thank you Mr. President and God bless.

No comments: