Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend





Over the river and through the woods to Nani's house we go!

What a great weekend. It's always sad to see an important chapter in someone's life close, but that only means that a new chapter is beginning, and is therefore also a cause for celebration. Michael and our family said goodbye to his childhood home, and we all took in a fabulous Memorial Day parade... ya gotta love the bagpipes, and Stew loved dancing to the marching bands. We also visited his Mom's soon-to-be new home, where there were already good times to be had. Stew surely loves that Nani's new pad is on a river! Eliza got to meet Nani, and most importantly I got a bit of a break, thanks to my fabulous in-laws. Michael even got to go out to golf.

Stewart continues to adapt well to big brotherhood. I think he grew in the past week. He feels so heavy now! I'm sure its just the contrast of carrying Eliza. Every time he gets a good dose of hanging out with lots of other kids for an extended time he really has an emotional and cognitive growth spurt as well. His words seem more clearly articulated, and his vocabulary expanded. He learned how to ride a big wheel thanks to watching his four year old cousin Willa. And I feel like he also learned a bit about siblings, watching his cousins interact. And oh yeah, he made his first girlfriend. At a friend's bar-b-que, her daughter took him by the hand and dragged him out to play on the swing-set. It was especially cute because he was being really shy and afraid to go and interact with all of the kids. But then he wouldn't share his crackers. You can only ask so much!

Both kids handled the car ride really well. Eliza also started sleeping for five to seven hours a night! I again feel like a whole new person, though my energy level isn't anywhere near where I'd like it to be. The first few nights she did this though I didn't really get any extra sleep... I kept waking up to make sure she was alive, and because my breasts were sore and totally engorged. My pelvis is still sore, but its getting better. I have to say that this pregnancy was so different, and I can't help but wonder if its because Eliza is a girl? Even after her birth my body is reacting totally differently than it did with Stewart. I have broken out with rashy zits on my arms and legs, and my face is broken out too. Yuck. She is so adorable though! Even her little pouty bottom lip when she cries... but so far she does that very little. She is such a good baby (knock on wood!). One morning I left her sleeping in our room and went to complete a few tasks, I went to check on her and she was just staring quietly out the window. When she saw me, she gave me a little smile. What a heart melter. It might have been luck, she really is just having those little muscle spasms that look like smiles. Everyday her neck gets stronger and she can hold her eyes still a little longer. I love every little beany moment, but wonder who she will be.

Being a two kid mom sure is a challenge. I certainly have my ups and downs. Some moments we're having a blast and others I feel so neglectful of Stewart. He doesn't listen well and likes to do as he pleases, so I frequently feel like I'm yelling at him more than hanging out with him. I'm looking forward to really feeling back to myself so we can do some more of the fun things he likes to do together, like going for walks to the playground. Eliza has her moments too where she just wants to be held; between the two of them its impossible to get the littlest thing done, particularly considering the small amount of energy I have. Oh to be able to truly live in the moment. And have the patience of a saint.

No comments: