Sunday, October 25, 2009

My First Jack-O-Lantern






Stewie carved his first Jack-O-Lantern last night! Well, he really just pulled out the guts, but boy did he have a good time. He really didn't like touching the raw guts with his hands, and preferred a utensil (future neat-nik? I wish... he shows no other signs, particularly when he dumps his buckets of toys, and only pulls stuff back out when I try to pick it up.) His father went with a more complex carving, while I kept it simple. By the time we got to the coolest part, lighting them, Stewie had lost interest. C'est la vie. Dad and I had a blast!

Oooh. I forgot that I have to add a background story. We actually had to go to the farm-stand to buy these. I had grown them in the backyard, but my starts were too little and I put them out too late and we never got anything. Miraculously, we had a vine grown from the old pumpkins we chucked out last fall. Stewie's magic pumpkin was starting to turn orange a week ago... when we looked out the window from his changing table one morning to find it had a few large bites taken out of it. The next day, it was rolled half way down the hill, out of the stone-wall garden. This was no small animal, but one with dexterous paws... we think it was a bear! The next day, the magic pumpkin was no more.

No comments: