Friday, May 21, 2010

Welcome to the World Eliza Louise!






A very teeny weeny (6.12 lbs & 19") Eliza Louise quickly and easily made her way into the world at 1AM Thursday morning of May 20th 2010. I was just informed by my mother-in-law that this is Eliza Doolittle Day. Who knew? I was drawn to the name Eliza from an American Revolutionary hero, and Louise was my grandma Suarez's name.

She looks so much like her brother.

I began having slightly intense but still irregular contractions around 7:30 PM Wednesday night after a check-up where my membranes were vigorously stripped. By 9PM I was having intense contractions that remained ten minutes apart for about an hour and a half. By 10PM I was insisting on going to the hospital, though my husband was skeptical. We were off within a half hour, and in the car my contractions reduced to five minutes apart. We were whisked through the emergency room into the Birthing Center at about 11:30 PM, where an exam revealed that I was five cm dilated. The obstetrician on call suggested we break my water at about 12:15AM, though it would be more painful, delivery would come quicker. Boy did it ever! With every contraction I dilated another centimeter. I was fighting the urge to push after a few, and wound up screaming "I can't NOT push!" at 9cm, and successfully did so. Eliza popped right on out and with one final push was on my belly, shocking both myself and Michael. He cut the cord and we got to hang out and nurse immediately. She was doing so well there was no need to intervene. Except for the three massive meconium poops she had! This labor was the exact opposite of Stewart's! I was so alert and energized I was aware of everything that was going on. It was truly the most amazing experience of my life (I'm not comparing with Stewart's here. The miracle was the same, just my awareness of it was not!).

Oh the smell of baby head. Intoxicating. She is a squeaky little thing. Stewart giggles every time she makes noise. Unless she squawks. Then he gets very concerned. We slept and nursed the first night in the hospital, and were quite eager to get home yesterday. Fortunately the Birthing Center was overcrowded and they were more than happy to send us home to make room for a first time mom. Last night she was up quite a lot, the same hours as she was in the womb, so we're going to have to work on adjusting to human hours (lights off and no interaction). I forgot the intensity of uterine contractions from nursing! I'm feeling great, though of course a bit sore, not nearly as sore as I was with Stew. I couldn't walk for two weeks!

Stewart is doing well. He brought me that ever-so-bright bouquet of flowers that he picked out all by himself! From the start he wanted to be with Eliza and investigate her. He has been very gentle (with the exception of an occasional finger in her eye) and curious about her and wants to help. He gets a little protective too which is funny and surprising. Sometimes he yells at his Dad when Mike tries to touch her or pick her up. But naturally he is a little jealous and has had a crying fit or two today.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful good wishes we've had so far. We'll continue to keep you up to date!

1 comment:

vantiganloos said...

I'm laughing and crying.
SO happy for you and the whole family.
way to go holding out and taking the "invasive measures". amen to our bodies knowing when to push. that was a big one for me, I couldn't NOT push!! WOO HOOOO!!!!